chaos7

Friday, February 10, 2006

Workin' For A Livin'

It’s been challenging finding time to update this blog. My day job has me shackled and flogged. Afterwards, I head home to my “other job” as mommy, wife, maid, cook, therapist, archaeologist, mime, private dancer, and Jeopardy contestant. All in a days work. Last night I stuffed baby into this cool rugrat carrying apparatus I just got in the mail called a HipHugger (Mrs. Jolie-Pitt has one…insert ooooo’s and aaaaah’s here) and walked to this Mediterranean restaurant in my ‘hood for dinner. Hubby and friends were there and we had a lovely time until I burst into tears because I couldn’t remember the last time I had dinner with more than one adult at a time. Baby and I split the scene early and raced home to bed. We were both out by 9:45 p.m.

This past Wednesday the event planning company I work for coordinated an event at the Four Seasons with a nightmare client from NYC who was NEVER happy. Never, ever, ever! She had changed every detail over and over since the first day we had begun working with her. Couldn’t wait to meet her in person and yeah, she’s one of those. All dang day and in to the evening she fussed and cussed and frowned and at the end of the soiree for these drunken small town history, English, P.E, and math teachers from around the state (yes, they DID conga!), she gave us all a hug and said we did a great job…and she wasn’t drunk. I’m glad she did that ‘cause I was already considering which fake palm tree at one of four “islands” I was going to beat her with. After we schelped all of the crap for the party into the cargo van and dropped it at the warehouse, we slammed a beer at a divey Latino bar called Club Oriente or otherwise known as “Gringos Pay Double.” Damn good beer though.

I almost forgot to mention that during the set up of the event, my cell phone rings and it’s my baby’s nanny breathless on the phone. I’m thinking the kid has drown in a pool of drool or pooped a mountain or something but she squeals that he just waved to a person on a bicycle 3 times! Evidently they were at the park and he waved back at someone waving at him. At the same moment I’m freaking with delight, a wave of sadness overcomes me as I realize that, as a full time working mother, I will be missing a lot of firsts in his little world. What’s a baby mama to do?

No comments: