chaos7

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Pipi

Willem's current sitter (who is the best dressed baby care giver ever and always looks like she's headed out to a dance party) has had to take a few days off so I am auditioning another to fill in the gaps. She's Latina, in her early twenties and has a 4-year-old son of her own. She speaks no English which isn't really a problem because husband and I combined are fluent present tense Spanish speakers. In an effort to communicate with her more effectively, I found a great program on the internet that allows me to type dialogue in English, cut and paste it into a text box and translate it in to Espanol. Worked like a charm but of course I have to embellish the details and overemphasize the specifics myself. I told her that the baby usually naps for two years instead of two hours. When I was telling her that baby loves lots of kisses and hugs, I basically said that I love lots of kisses and hugs. It took me a minute to figure out why she took a step backwards.

It's very hard finding people to trust to help you raise your only child. It's easy to decide that the way you do things is the only way it should be done. Around 1 p.m., I came home for lunch and to pump and found baby still in his pajamas. Evidently he hadn't eaten because she had prepared formula instead of the breast milk in the fridge and he hadn't taken a nap yet. I was bummed to see the little guy stalled out in his day. The look on his face was calm confusion when he saw me. I'm sure he was wondering what the heck was going on. I scooped him up, popped the boob in his mouth and soon he was fast asleep.

One of the great perks of having this little lady in my house is that she's also a housecleaner so while baby napped for 2 hours and 40 minutes, she scrubbed and swept and wiped and straightened. That's a nice thing to come home to so now I need to decide if this little arrangement is going to work. She's coming again today and tomorrow so we'll see.

No comments: