chaos7

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Today #2

Dearest Willem,

Today you are four months and three days old. You are really starting to turn into your own person as you navigate through the routines of each day. I am amazed at how much you change the patterns, the relationships, and the associations you have in every familiar activity. You are still enamoured with your mobile and coo to it as you reach unsuccessfully for the little animals hanging from the spindle. You get stone still when the mobile stops playing music and turning as if you too have run out of time. We gave you a crib a couple of weeks back and you love the spaciousness of it where you can view all of your toys and your goofy parents gazing down at you. Yesterday when I returned from my first day back at work, I found you on your tummy in the crib and when you saw me, you made great efforts to come my way, kicking your pudgy legs and waving your arms. If you had been in a pool of water, you would've swam to me with the agility of an Olympic swimmer. Late at night when I rescue you from hunger pangs and scary stuffed animal nightmares, you hug my neck so tight as we climb the stairs to the big bed, I sometimes can't breathe. You are a big time snuggler and force me over to daddy's side of the bed when you wiggle closer and closer to me. He likes that. Sometimes those same nights, you are ready to party instead of sleep and talk to yourself out loud as if rehearsing a speech. You are also quite the singer and will hold a note so long, I fear you may simply pass out. I still dream of the night that I get to completely miss it because I have somehow slept through but I'm close to accepting the fact that probably won't happen until you graduate from high school. I have had to put hair rubber bands and clips all over the house because you like to grip the mane around my face when I hold you resulting is a very gradual hand-plucked shag hair do. Before too long I may resemble Rod Stewart. You have gotten really good at holding your head up and turning it to see things you desperately want to see. In fact, I think you have a hidden swivel in your spinal cord or have a couple of hoot owl genes because you can turn that thing pretty dang far. It starts wobbling from the weight of your noggin' when you turn too far. You smile at everything (me, daddy, pretty girls, your stuffed blocks, the ceiling, air) and your deep dimples knock everyone out. Such an unexpected addition to your beautiful face. You continue to be such a joy and I cherish every brief moment I am with you. I will try my hardest to not squeeze the breath out of you when I hug you and only give you 150 kisses when I get home from work everyday. You are my darling son and you are loved more than you'll ever know.

No comments: