chaos7

Thursday, April 27, 2006

NIMBY

Last summer when we had to move out of our studio apartment, it was because our house was under construction and this was being built behind us...


For months the pumping of the conjunto tuba echoed off of the walls of the facades as we watched the buildings rise from the earth. Ten of them total will be completed by the end of the year and five have gone up already. Four have been sold while one is still pending sale (can you tell I am a nosey neighbor?). Prices for these units are $419,000 and up. SO not worth it. How do I know? Last night the developer hosted a block party with some free nibbles, beer and a band. A couple of the homes were open to the public so Willem, Holly (my dear friend and designer of my house), and I strolled over to poke around. Beautiful granite countertops are flanked by cheap towel holders and mirrors pegged to walls reminescent of crappy student housing. Long tubes with light bulbs screwed in the tips hover overhead. From a distance it looks like exposed electrical work instead of a finished product. Bad Feng Shui. Rooms were small, painted edges unfinished, and the floor plans are wonky. Not my cup of tea. I did realize though that one of the perks of this little neighborhood behind mine is that the new neighbors are diverse, eclectic, and super friendly…and they love my purple house (or lie convincingly). Never mind that I can see into their worlds because their back windows are mammoth floor to ceiling jobs and I know just about every move they make behind them. Talk about reality television! The guys right behind me just put up a huge American flag as their curtain. It’s as big as the ones you see flying high above a car dealership. When I met one of the owners last night, I thanked him for not using a confederate flag. We will be installing clumping bamboo in our yard (backlit for dramatic effect) in the next couple of months as we begin phase one of the landscaping nightmare, I mean, project. The 30 foot willowy wall will aid in obscuring the view of my new friends and their overpriced properties.

No comments: