chaos7

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Christmas Pimp

I mentioned last year that I’m a holiday ho. This year it looks like I get to be a holiday pimp. Why, you ask? Because I’ve got the ultimate partner-in-crime to O-D on peppermint, twinkling lights and eggnog with…my son. Tears of joy! I struggle with getting the Hubs to take me and this time of year seriously, I encounter way too many Scrooges on the streets and I get fed up with my own half-assed attempts to “make the season bright” because the North Pole wind has been knocked out of my ho-hoing sails. Nevermore! I come from a very rich childhood history of Christmas cheer spreading. Many eves of yore were spent at my grandmothers’ with cousins, aunts and uncles buzzing about and drinking themselves silly. The photographer would show to take the family photo. We’d open the door to carolers and sit around the piano to sing our own favorites (I know, very Norman Rockwell). We'd plow through mountains of food, grandmother’s pies and pecan pralines. We’d tear in to gifts and then head out for midnight mass, when we could make it. In a drunken stupor, dad would play Santa in the wee hours of the morning and lay out a spread of toys turning the living room into Disneyland. It was outrageous! I want this for my son. I want all of the jingle bells and whistles to be a part of his memories. The pimping will begin this weekend.

4 comments:

jen said...

That sounds like fun! Can I come?
Jen

Anonymous said...

Me too. And I'm married to the anti-Christ...mas. I am all about it. Somehow my freakin' Christmas ornaments are missing (!) but I'm putting up a tree and ALL of it.

Let's get these elves together during the holidays!

Anonymous said...

I don't know why my bro turned out that way. We used to have a blast a Christmas. Have you ever raised the subject of other requisite childhood experiences such as the tooth fairy and the Easter bunny?

Kelly R. said...

Igg, I think the part that makes my beloved run the other direction in anti-holiday haste is when I ask him to assist with the decorating. He'd rather warm his toddy in the palm of his hand and watch me whirl about. Doesn't he realized that makes him seem SO OLD?