chaos7

Thursday, May 11, 2006

In With The In Crowd

These days daddy is SO IN. I remember a time when Willem couldn’t be consoled by anyone but mama and his early relationship with his father was a bit estranged. Papa would go on the road to entertain the masses and upon returning, baby would have to relearn that this guy had some important role in his being on the planet and loved him as much as I did. This routine was heartbreaking and frustrating for proud papa and I could never leave the house for more than 15 minutes without receiving a harried call demanding my immediate return…”Yes, leave the grocery cart where it is and come home NOW!” Yesterday, however, we witnessed a moment of his growing affection for daddy while we were lying in the front yard on a blanket in the cool evening air. Willem had claimed my sparklely pink belt like a trout does shiny plastic bait (this was one of his best attempt at crawling I’ve seen yet!) and was getting it all good and soggy when he offered the tip of it to daddy’s chin four consecutive times. He then proceeded to lie down beside him and wrap his legs around his arm like a boa constrictor preparing his dinner. Daddy was all a-glow with delight. He also repeats “Da da” constantly while looking at him square on making daddy want to give him anything he wants in the whole wide world.

Since before Willem was born, I have been singing to him “Twinkle, Twinkle” and “ABCD”. Because they have the same melody, I thought he would pick them up quickly. I have, however, changed the words to “ABCD” so at the end I sing “Now I’ve said my ABCs, next time won’t you sing with MaaaaaMaaaaaa!” He loves it when I exaggerate the "mama" part but it will probably come back to haunt him when he sings it aloud with mighty gusto in school and says “Next time won’t you sing with MaaaaaaaMaaaaaa!” Yep, I better teach him some karate moves.



This intense and handsome little guy is Willem’s best friend in the whole wide world. Introducing Finnegan. Finn can crawl and has 6 teeth. He’s a two-handed waver and a grunter (something I attribute to the fact that he has that pacifier in his mouth often). He has a very kind nature, just like his mom, and he and Willem play peacefully together. Earth Mama said that when they came over the other day the boys embraced each other briefly, something they’d never done before. They are at the stage now where they are showing interest in each other and explore the proximity issue like two dwarfs without depth perception. Can't wait until Willem is mobile and can keep up with his little buddy. Better get on that child proofing project soon.

1 comment:

jen said...

We had the same father son relationship in our house. I got the same phone calls. They are cool now. (but he still REALLY loves his mommy)
Oh, by the way, Happy Mother's Day!
jen