chaos7

Thursday, July 14, 2005

It's Been Too Long...

Latest baby stats: I’ve gained 25 pounds (only 3 lbs. away from outweighing my husband!), the head is pointed in the right direction (down, that is) and Junebug is weighing in at 4.5 lbs. (with a margin of error of 6 ounces). “Hello, Baby Huey!” With a straight face, the nurse said, “You’re going to have at least an 8 pound baby.” Insert belly zipper here. We did a sonogram “just for fun” and I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw the little tyke's face. The detail was incredible, as if I was looking through a window to my belly. I couldn’t get a good read on the shape of the nose though. Sorta looked to me like someone had erased it with White-Out.



Over the 4th of July weekend, I met the husband in Nashville for our two-hour drive to Kentucky to see family. In Dallas, my plane was delayed which was fine because I was IN the airport. When we boarded, we were delayed again but this time we were ON the tarmac for almost two hours. I pretended to have things under control as baby crawled up into my ribcage, played hacky-sack with my bladder and tried to kick the lady sitting next to me (I swear!). As my feet and legs began to swell, I silently called out for my mother. Had a minor melt down upon arriving at the airport but hubby plied me with a lovely Asian hand fan and a book he had purchased while vacationing, I mean, working in Nashvegas.

Early one morning while sleeping in our little cottage on Kentucky Lake, I was doing my full body stretch, one that I now have to navigate with a part of my brain that isn’t sleeping at the time to insure that I don’t stretch too far. If I don’t, I either pull something scary down in my abdomen region or I guarantee myself a Charley Horse. This morning, I got the Horse. Right calf, blinding pain, twisted toes, blood curdling yells of “Oh, God! Oh, God! Oh, no! Oh, God!” My husband, who was having dreams of flyfishing and catching mermaids with big hooters (okay, I made that part up), freaked. “Grab my toes and push, grab my toes and push, “ I roared to him as he climbed on all fours and headed to the foot of the bed. In about a minute, the whole scene was under control and I promptly rolled over (to my left side, the side I will never sleep on again after this baby is born) and went back to sleep. At lunch the next day, we talked about the incident as I massaged my sore calf under the table. He explained to me that he thought I was in labor and couldn’t recall the part that they taught us in prenatal class that involved the “pushing up of toes.” It never dawned on me that he might’ve thought Junebug was on its way to meet us. I felt very proud that he would do whatever I asked in the midst of confusion, pain, and grogginess…kinda like being in the delivery room, no? I think I’ll demand Tiffany earrings when I’m 10 centimeters.



So we had great fun with the fam, many laughs, and really enjoyed the time spent in cooler temperatures. Before we left town, I got to visit with a dear friend who is the mother of the loveliest little man I've ever seen and had the privilege of meeting. She gave me tons of baby booty, things a mommy really needs...because SHE KNOWS. I am forever grateful for her generosity.



The flight back was full of delays but I was with hubby and that made it bearable. I arrived home completely exhausted and with a lovely set of cankles. What are cankles, you query? Well, it's when your ankles become the size of your calves and when you poke them, it leaves an indentation. Did I mention that I cried when I saw them? Well, I did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Or you can call them fankles.... fat ankles.